Monday, September 18, 2006

My Letter to The College of Physicians and Surgeons

May 19, 2006

Dear Sir or Madam:

Re: My Daughters’ Right to Medical Attention

I have sent correspondence to your office regarding my daughter who has been diagnosed with Mitochondrial Disease but have not received a reply.

Contrary to what you may believe, I am not complaining about doctors nor am I going to sue since my legal advice has been that I will not get anywhere. I simply want my daughter to exercise her right to medical attention and to have medicine prescribed to her.

This diagnosis was made at age 12 at Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto. Although I do not agree with this diagnosis, I researched treatments available for this disease in the U.S. and other countries, not Canada, via internet. My daughter’s condition deteriorated soon after being seen at Sick Kid’s Hospital because she was not given medication and I was forced to send her to school with a very serious illness. She continues to have serious health problems and, by her father’s hand was prescribed birth control pills but no medication. Boston Children’s Hospital treats this illness with a variety of vitamins and L-Carnetyne, Japan with a mixture of cyclamede and vitamins.

Since I was unable to find proper medical attention, I had her treated through Homeopathic Doctors and her condition improved and I covered the cost of the treatment. In an effort to find medical attention for my daughter and medicine, I now have problems with the law and Children’s Aid and I have a restraining order on me. Does my daughter have a right to medical attention? Not in Aurora/Newmarket and not through Sick Kid’s. Another problem to add to the heap is that Doctors, I believe, will not go against a diagnosis from Sick Kid’s. I’m assuming they have a reputation to maintain.

In light of the recent death of Brooke DiBernardo, a 14-year-old girl from Caledon whose parents were not able to find her proper medical care, I realize that my daughter and I have taken the same path. I would like to know how to go about finding medical attention for my daughter in Canada.

No comments: